1 pound lean ground beef (7% fat or less) ¹/³ cup seasoned dried bread crumbs
- tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- garlic cloves, minced 1 large egg
½ teaspoon salt
¼ + ¹/8 teaspoon black pepper 2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, broken up
½ pound whole wheat spaghetti
- To make meatballs, mix together beef, bread crumbs, Romano, half of garlic, the egg,
¼ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of pepper in large bowl until well combined. With damp hands, shape mixture into 30 (1-inch) meat- balls.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high Cook meatballs, in two batches, until browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- To make tomato sauce, heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high Add onion, remaining garlic, and the oregano; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with their juice and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and ¹/8 teaspoon pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Add meatballs and return to simmer; cook partially covered, stirring oc- casionally, until meatballs are cooked through and sauce is thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions, omitting salt if desired; drain
- Divide pasta evenly among 6 shallow bowls and top evenly with meatballs and
PER SERVING (½ CUP SPAGHETTI, 5 MEATBALLS, AND ½ CUP SAUCE): 269 grams, 343 Cal, 9 g Total Fat, 3 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 85 mg Chol, 713 mg Sod, 44 g Total Carb, 8 g Total Sugar, 7 g Fib, 25 g Prot, 136 mg Calc.
PointsPlus value: 9